In this module students analyze real-world data relating to apple production and consumption. Looking at global and US data, students look at measures of central tendency by analyzing a box-and-whisker plot and later normal distribution graphs.
Math topics covered include:
- Box-and-whisker plot
- Normal distribution
- Sample mean and sample standard deviation
This module includes three videos that provide examples, definitions, and real-world context. Supplement this module with hands-on activities where students calculate their own data from random samples.
- Graphing Numbers
- Problem Solving
- Analyze box and whisker plots
- Analyze normal distributions
- Calculate population mean and standard deviation
- Knows measures of central tendency
- Knows what a statistic is
|Common Core Standards||CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.6.SP.B.4, CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.HSS.ID.A.1, CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.6.SP.B.5.C, CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.7.SP.B.4, CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.HSS.ID.A.2, CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.HSS.ID.A.4|
|Lesson Duration||45 mins|
|Grade Range||6th - 10th Grade|